Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Good Ambassador

At the show, as ScaryMary and I wandered, her eyes would widen and her smile would brighten. I said, "I'll make sure to show you the book that I have. You will love it."
.
Oddly entitled, "Who Won Second Place at Omaha?" it was written by Diane Kagan and Meryl Joseph. A kind and thoughtful rare book dealer believed that it would make an appropriate addition to my eclectic library; so he saved it for me.
.
Here it is. You can click to enlarge the image.
.
The text reads, "Not visible to the naked ear. I have the most extraordinary ear - I can hear sounds that are not visible to the naked ear. I hear whispers that are meant for another world: hisses, squeals, kissing and dark laughter. My ear is cultivated to such a degree that I see sounds and listen with my eyes instead. this is necessary in my house, which is shared with so many others from all walks of life and places on earth. I have developed perceptions that stand me in good stead when it comes to maintaining order- which is not always easy here. On occasion chaos had occurred. At those times one must be highly skilled and experienced in diplomatic relations. I've often thought I'd make a good ambassador to the world of the less-than-human but more-than-inanimate creatures. "