Friday, June 20, 2008

Plein Air Painting


Although, perhaps best known around town for his beloved depictions of Great Cow Harbor, Ward Hooper is a multi-talented artistic icon.
.
I've chosen to show you one of his old Victorians because they are so prevalent in our neighborhood and because I love them even more than the harbor scenes. When I look at them, I can dream of reading on the porches or rustling around in the attic. I love them.
.
You probably aren't aware of it, but you most likely have some of Ward's work in your own house. It was Ward who redesigned the Aunt Jemima packaging, giving Aunt Jemima his wife's smile. It was Ward who designed the Saks Fifth Avenue logo; it's probably in your closet on a shopping bag. Andy Warhol might have pushed the Brillo box past the point of renown, but it was Ward Hooper who designed the Brillo box to begin with.
.
When Ward called to invite me to Great Cow Harbor's second annual Plein Air Painting Event I said, "Of course I'll go! I would never miss an opportunity to see you paint!" The Plein Air Event is being held tomorrow also. It turns Great Cow Harbor into an artist's mecca for a weekend; artists are stationed everywhere, happily painting away.
.
The event is organized by the Northport Arts Coalition. The paintings will be available for purchase through silent auction at the LaMantia Gallery in downtown Great Cow Harbor on this Sunday afternoon.

.

You can find Ward Hooper here: www.wardhooper.net ; do not confuse him with an Idaho artist with the same name.