Monday, December 5, 2011

The Filigree Staircase

I did not write this. However, I found it to be so very beautiful. Therefore, with the permission of its anonymous author, I am happily sharing it with you. Enjoy. Be well and Be merry.



When I was younger I imagined that life was like a huge meandering filigree staircase, as delicate as lace yet as strong as spiders webs.
Each rung was a day in a time and felt differently beneath my tred, sometimes resonating a soft footfall and sometimes as though the ground shifted, that reality & perception shifts so frequently it is impossible to feel stable and not be caught in an ever shifting 
labyrinth just in the context of one single day. Like tiptoeing through reality wondering when the pavement is going to slip away....


So this beautiful yet treacherous filigree staircase has landings, they open up now and then, I don't know what they will hold..


Once a room so perfect in it's simplicity with cathedral soaring ceilings and a skylight holding the perfect moonlight, in the middle of the room a boy in monk's robes sitting playing the most exquisite piano carved from the bones of a million tiny prayer renowned for perfect pitch.
His eyes are still, calm and as empty as the darkest hollow. 
The music he plays makes me weep with joy at the sheer beauty more profoundly ethereal than anything I have heard before.


I edge further in to the room, the boy looks up startled and to my horror I notice he has no ears. As he looks at me his eyes fill with pain and then the most immense joy.
Above the plain cowl of his tunic his ears start to grow like unfurling orchid flowers..


I realise that in me he has witnessed imperfection for the first time and this has made him whole...Each our own lesson on this 
landing....so I step away on to the next delicate yet ever holding rung of my journey.