Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hellboy


That's Trixie in the photo; Hellboy is the movie. But, I bet I got some of you. I know that there is someone out there who is not familiar with my work who looked at the photo of Trixie and exclaimed, "Now what the hell is THAT?!" Admit it; I got you.

Hellboy was wonderfully colorful and comic book-y and had lots of bad jokes in it. I love bad jokes; I laughed through the whole thing. It was a fun flick despite the fact that it cribbed from almost every known movie and every character on the planet. Hellboy, himself, appeared as "Hot Stuff" as a baby. Hot Stuff with a deformed hand is still "Hot Stuff"; we all know that. My husband left the room during the first two minutes after exclaiming, "Ughhhh, Star Gate! They're doing Star Gate!" UhHuh. And they did Alien, Predator, Star Wars, Carrie, and a slew of other 'been there, done that' all-too-recognizable things. Maybe they were supposed to be familiar and recognizable; perhaps it was a spoof and that spotting the similarities was supposed to be part of the fun. Maybe. However, I did find myself yelling, "Flame on!!" Then I realized, uhoh, that's Marvel comics, not Dark Horse.
.
It had good vs. evil, romance, and bad humor. It was Matrix-like enough that I was happy. It had good comic book lines like: "In the absence of light, darkness prevails." "There are things that go bump in the night. We are the ones who bump back." And my favorite line, delivered by Abe Sapiens who was a total rip-off on Creature from the Black Lagoon: "If there's trouble, all of us freaks have each other."