Monday, July 23, 2007

Carmilla Bah Bah Bah Bare


Ahhhhh; now to sort that out.


.


"Carmilla" was written in 1872 by J. Sheridan Le Fanu. Predating "Dracula", "Carmilla" not only influenced Bram Stoker in the writing of "Dracula", "Carmilla" is simply one of the best, most seminal, stories in all vampire literature.


.


" 'Carmilla' deals openly, using both subtlety and gruesomeness, with the sexual content of the vampire myth. IT provides unforgettably chilling scenes and compels the reader to return again and again to its mysteries. In 1970 it was filmed as 'The Vampire Lovers', but thee is nothing quite like Le Fanu's 'Carmilla' itself." - Alan Ryan


.


The character Carmilla was a master at hiding in plain sight; often, for excellent reasons, she flat out refused to answer any prying questions regarding her past. Inquiries to Carmilla were met with memorable, ponderable, blatantly blossomy prose. "You were quite right to ask me that, or anything. You do not know how dear you are to me, or you could not think any confidence too great to look for. But I am under vows, no nun half so awfully, and I dare not tell my story yet, even to you. The time is very near when you shall know everything. You will think me cruel, very selfish, but love is always selfish; the more ardent the more selfish. How jealous I am you cannot know. You must come with me, loving me, to death; or else hate me, and still come with me, and hating me through death and after. There is no such word as indifference in my apathetic nature." I find that to be an excellent response to nosey individuals.


.


Many of you have asked to see pictures of my 'sheep'. Bah Bah who has all his fur, and Bah Bare who has none, are two of them. One of the smaller varieties of my 'puppets', they are tiny enough to fit in a pocket and still large enough to dress or dance around. I hope to have sheep available for November.