Sunday, March 9, 2008

Dark House Quarter


"Curiouser and Curiouser"
- Lewis Carol
.
Physically quite far away from our island, but very close in spirit to our particular neighborhood, is a house. A very strange house. A decidedly odd house. A fabulously frighteningly beautiful house. A very dark house. One which, fortunately for you, if you don't like this picture, you needn't visit at all.
.
Like Rod Serling's Twilight Zone, it is a place of mind and fearsome imagination. Stephen, the master of the house, graciously welcomed me in. I, in turn, now welcome you.

.

All through his house, I wandered and I wandered. It was so quiet. And I could hear the long crushed silk skirt that I wasn't really wearing swish over marble floors and I hiked it from long practice over the wooden ones and watched carefully not to catch my high four inch heels in the worn Oriental carpets. I twirled and I gazed and I gasped. And then I ran home over the cobblestones and invited a friend back. It is an understatement to say that together we found ourselves enthralled. I said to her, "It's simply so glorious, isn't it? I hope that Stephen rents rooms; ScaryMary will want to live here!"
.
For those of you who wonder what my house looks like and wish that they could spend time in Little Cow Harbor, I say, "Visit Stephen. When one of his glorious dark portals hangs upon your wall, maybe you are ready for my house. And still, maybe, most probably, not. Because my house is real. Alice really lives in my house."
.
Speaking of Alice, you are remembering, I hope, to mark your calendars for any day in April. April 2008 is the time for my month long exhibition at Jericho Library where our Alice will be seen for the first time. And you mustn't look at Stephen's picture and be afraid. Our Alice will debut in vintage blue silks and probably a jeweled headband. You will be able to see my White Rabbit life-size and fully intact. Certainly there will be no ax anywhere.
.
Well, the ax will still be right where it is I suppose. If you enter a certain room, in a particular house, in the United Kingdom, I am sure you can find Alice. With her ax. And the remains of the White Rabbit.
.
On a dark and stormy night, when the wind howls and the clock strikes midnight, climb into your velvet appointed horse drawn coach and visit: http://www.darkhousequarter.com/ . No need to call ahead; the door is always unlocked, and the house is always waiting.
.
If you're from Great Cow Harbor or Little Cow Harbor, dress up. Long skirt, high heels, extra Swarovski butterfly hairclips to lose, lots of jewelry to glitter in the candlelight. Be sure to write a thoughtful thank you note to Stephen after you visit; he has worked hard to make your stay a pleasurable one. If you are not from our town or our end of the island however, you might want to wear flats; you might have to run.