Saturday, March 29, 2008

See Saw


There really is no explaining an exhibit of mine, so I won't really try. What's important to me is telling you this: I'm not just me.
.
The exhibits flow into a seamless whole, but I do huge amount of collaborative work in and for each one. One day, when I attempted to explain this to a viewer, she exclaimed, "Oh, I could care less who did the work! It's just fantastic! I don't care who did it!!" Now I think, okay, maybe no one cares who did it, but me. But I do care, and so here I'll try to explain to you a little bit more about what you might have seen.
.
Orchid, Alabaster, and the girl playing "Alice" were all physically sculpted by A.D. Puchalski. A.D. is a graphics illustrator who just happens to sculpt magnificently. The figures are all hand sculpted, each is one of a kind, none were created from the any sort of molds. BunnyBoy who was held by "Alice" is also a one of kind by A.D. . The tentacled NecroBun who belongs to Orchid and who was bothering Orchid's nightingale in November is now back trying to steal her engagement ring this April. The NecroBun is one of A.D.'s limited edition Necronomiconies, the bunnies from the Abyss. Yes, it's true. Alabaster's coat was completely inspired by A.D.'s hottest latest character, King. King has fabulous clothes, which are of course easier to draw than they are to sew. I simply could not allow King to have better clothes than Alabaster. For those of you who actually do read this and who are die hard fans: you're in luck. Yes, there are two pieces available for sale. A.D. has decided to release Orchid's sister Window as well as the girl who is playing "Alice" in this exhibit. They are available for purchase by theDragonQueen's method of "It's mine! I called it first!!". You can contact me at " i n f o @ c a t h y c a r a . c o m " (without the spam defeating spaces) for more information. Visit www.angeldevilland.com for more on A.D.'s work and to find out about the eagerly awaited graphic novel featuring King.
.
Orchid's Precious whom she is wearing for the first time on exhibit, was created by theDragonQueen. Precious is a museum quality one of a kind sculpture containing genuine gemstones. To obtain your own Precious or to learn how to sculpt using the detailed instructions in theDragonQueen's books, visit: www.cforiginals.com .
.
The large White Rabbit and the Elves were sculpted by me. Each is one of a kind; no molds. All of the costuming on all of the figures was done by me. MiniRoses, an extremely talented miniaturist, helps me immeasurably, all the time. MiniRoses provided the idea and the materials for Orchid's tail.
.
The jewelry was done by me, unless it's obviously an antique. The tiny glass pendants are all mine. The lovely French beaded flowers were completed by myself, Jeanne, or Virginia. "The Book in the Attic" was done by me as were all of the flowers on it. Orchid's magnificent dressing table is Chinese; she picked it out herself.
.
The eye which appears in this photograph is a Japanese black one. A.D. had been considering it for our 2009 showpiece which will be a winged male.