Sunday, April 13, 2008

Vintage Kimono












Lately, we have been talking about putting together an "Oriental Exhibit". A.D. and I are both particularly fond of all things Oriental. And with my latest sculpt being an Orchid-sized blue haired Asian, people have been asking to see the new girl. We have been trying to think of a fitting setting for her.
.
Both the blue haired Asian girl, as well as the blond girl by A.D. who is currently playing "Alice" at Jericho, have tattoos on their backs. If the girls wore kimonos, the tattoo work might be shown very elegantly and might make for a very beautiful display.
.
Of course, I would have to make the kimonos. Of course, they would have to be silk.
.
To further my "kimono education", one friend whisked this over -one- hundred -years- old Japanese kimono out of hiding. Per its provenance, it was last worn in the 1920's. Not only was I allowed to see the kimono, I was allowed to touch it. The silk feels like butterfly wings. It is absolutely magnificent. The intricate multi-hued embroidery on it is breathtaking; I wish that I had gotten more closeups. It is completely covered with butterflies and flowers. You simply cannot appreciate the work from just one beautiful butterfly.