Monday, January 24, 2011

Congratulations to all the Winners !

The January 2011 UFDC Doll Fanciers' Doll Show was a rousing success.  The change of venue for brought so many out of state vendors that this year they spilled out into the hall.  In spite of record cold temperatures, I got to see many old friends and made wonderful new ones.
.
In spite of the farther walk to the ladies room, there were many lovely dolls and a good time was had by all.
.
The UFDC club members worked particularly hard this year to keep tabs and run "two competition rooms" .  The unfamiliar zigzag of hallways and odd layout of doorways made for an 'Alice in Wonderland' scampering throughout the day.  I promised everyone that I would share the few pictures that I did manage to take, so here they are. I will load them in stages here on the blog, or out on the journal, beginning with this year's "big" winners.  I am sorry, but I do not have photos of all the dolls which 'won'.  Not only do I take 'hardly the best photographs', I get very easily distracted if someone begins talking to me.  I am lucky that I have any photos at all.
.
The only "disappointment" that I noticed was people not understanding why the 'competition rooms' were not available for viewing until the show's end at 4 o'clock.  Many people arrived at 3 o'clock and could not understand, why, if the show was "still going on" could they not view the competition dolls.  Of course, my response was: "Such decisions are up to the club and I will relay your displeasure as well as the message as best I can."   Probably, it takes 'that many hours' to dismantle the competition rooms and the 'extra hour' is simply required in order to ever finish the show at a reasonable hour.  However, people are not wrong when they said, "Then it should say that on the admission pamphlets and tickets.  We thought we had all day to see the competition dolls!  Your dolls are only in 'competition'! Now we cannot see them!"
.
Therefore, I have promised to share my photographs.  Yes, no matter how 'not good' they are.
.
My personal 'show favorite' was this second place winner.  The charming artist who entered this particular baby doll took a reborn blank, rooted her hair, painted her, and dressed her.  The photo does not do this piece justice :
.
.
This is a photograph of the 2011 "Best in Show" dolls.  Each of the 'big pink fluffy ribbon winners' are moved to their own table to stand alone and be admired.   My favorite is the one in the 'red cape':
.
.
Congratulations to all and thank you for braving the cold with your lovely dolls so that we could all enjoy them!